See the BEST Alaska has to offer all in one day! This trip has everything your family or group needs – Kayak by glaciers on a tour to the Kenai Fjords National Park, fish for…
Caines Head Adventure – Full Day
Paddle & Hike in Caines Head!
This fantastic World War II defensive structure is located at the top of Caines Head as part of the Caines Head State Park Recreation area. We paddle out from Miller’s Landing, landing at the original Fort McGilvray dock. From there, we begin our Alaskan hike, complete with an exhilarating 650 feet of elevation gain in 2 miles through the beautiful temperate rainforest.
Atop you find a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Alaska, Harding Gateway, and the Barrier Islands of Resurrection Bay! Bring a headlamp or flashlight to explore Fort McGilvray and have a snack at the gunning embedment before heading back down the trail for a fun kayaking adventure to Miller’s Landing.
We recommend you bring lunch and water with you on this trip. This is a great trip for folks who are looking for a fun yet semi-challenging adventure in Resurrection Bay. In total, you will be paddling ~10 miles and hiking ~4 miles; this trip is best for ages 12 and up.
- Get a panoramic view of the Gulf of Alaska.
- This is a full day of paddling and hiking, check out our Caines Head 3/4 Day Paddle, which features a water taxi back to millers from Caines Head Beach. A fun and relaxing way to end this paddling/hiking trip.
- $120 per person (on sale from $179 per person); Use discount code Caines Head Full to get $59 off per person!
- Watch for whales, eagles, sea lions, sea otters, mountain goats, black bears, and Dall’s porpoises!
- Paddle past driftwood ghost forests from the 1964 Alaskan earthquake.
- No experience needed, all gear and instruction provided.
- Please note: All participants paddle tandem kayaks. This paddle is appropriate for children aged 12 and over.
- Gratuities are not included in the original sale price. A suggested 20% guide tip is greatly appreciated! (Suggested tip $15 to $25/person)
Start your morning by meeting your guide, getting geared up and ready to paddle along the coast to Caines Head State Recreation Area.
From there we paddle past Tonsina Beach, where salmon spawn (when in season), and view the beautiful yet mysterious ghost forest remains from the ruins of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. We continue on to Caines Head State Park. Paddlers often see eagles, sea otters, sea lions, and sometimes mountain goats, black bears, and orca and humpback whales.
Hike up to Fort McGilvray through the stunning Chugach National Forest, admiring the blankets of moss and picking berries late summer. Then you will find yourself at the entrance of the WWII bunker. Hopefully you brought your flashlight because it’s dark inside. Enjoy lunch with a view of the bay then hike back down to the beach where we landed.
We retrace our steps and paddle back to Miller’s Landing, watching for wildlife all along the way.
This paddle is ideal for those wanting to paddle, hike, and explore all that Resurrection Bay has to offer. No sea kayaking experience is necessary; however, be prepared to be active all day.
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations canceled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, water taxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation, then no refunds will be issued and you will also be charged a $10 cancellation fee to your credit card.
- In some situations, a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you, please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping, or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, T-shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online, the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was canceled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute a cancellation.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season, which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter, water taxi, or kayaking is canceled due to weather, you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you, but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.