See the BEST Alaska has to offer all in one day! This trip has everything your family or group needs – Kayak by glaciers on a tour to the Kenai Fjords National Park, fish for…
- $179 $120
Paddle & Hike in Caines Head!
This fantastic World War II defensive structure is located at the top of Caines Head, as part of the Caines Head State Park Recreation area. We paddle out and land at the original Fort McGilvray dock. From there, we begin our Alaskan hike, complete with an exhilarating 650 feet of elevation gain in 2 miles.
Atop you find a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Alaska, Harding Gateway, and the Barrier Islands of Resurrection Bay! Bring a headlamp or flashlight to explore Fort McGilvray and have a snack at the gunning embedment before heading back down the trail for a fun kayaking adventure to Miller’s Landing.
We recommend you bring lunch and water with you on this trip. In total, you will be paddling ~10 miles and hiking ~4 miles.
- 7:30 a.m. Check in to office for parking pass and to sign necessary forms
- 8 a.m. Meet guide, get outfitted for paddle
- 8:15 a.m. Warm-up exercises, safety briefing
- 8:25 a.m. Depart for paddle
- Paddle to Caines Head and hike 4 miles round-trip to Fort McGilvray
- Depart for Miller’s Landing. This trips generally returns to Miller’s Landing around 3 p.m.
Be prepared to be physically active for the entirety of this Seward kayaking and hiking trip. If you’re not comfortable hiking and paddling all day, we have easier trips that we can set you up with!
- Get a panoramic view of the Gulf of Alaska.
- $120 per person (on sale from $179 per person)
- Use discount code Caines Head Full to get $59 off per person!
- Watch for whales, eagles, sea lions, sea otters, mountain goats, black bears, and Dall’s porpoises!
- Paddle past driftwood ghost forests from the 1964 Alaskan earthquake.
- No experience needed, all gear and instruction provided.
We paddle past Tonsina Beach, where salmon spawn (when in season), and view the beautiful yet mysterious ghost forest remains from the ruins of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. From there, we continue on to Caines Head State Park. Paddlers often see eagles, sea otters, sea lions, and sometimes mountain goats, black bears, and orca and humpback whales.
Bring your hiking boots! From surf to turf, we begin our 2-mile hike to the top of Caines Head to view the historical WWII remains of Fort McGilvray. Bring your camera! The panoramic view of Resurrection Bay alone leaves you speechless.
We retrace our steps and paddle back to Miller’s Landing, watching for wildlife all along the way.
This paddle is ideal for those wanting to paddle, hike, and explore all that Resurrection Bay has to offer. No sea kayaking experience is necessary; however, be prepared to be active all day.
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations canceled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, water taxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation, then no refunds will be issued and you will also be charged a $10 cancellation fee to your credit card.
- In some situations, a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you, please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping, or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, T-shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online, the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was canceled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute a cancellation.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season, which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter, water taxi, or kayaking is canceled due to weather, you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you, but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.