See the BEST Alaska has to offer all in one day! This trip has everything your family or group needs – Kayak by glaciers on a tour to the Kenai Fjords National Park, fish for salmon and rockfish, and sightsee all in a small group setting!
Caines Head Adventure – Full Day
Paddle & Hike in Caines Head!
This fantastic World War II defensive structure is located at the top of Caines Head as part of the Caines Head State Park Recreation area. We paddle out from Miller’s Landing, landing at the original Fort McGilvray dock. From there, we begin our Alaskan hike, complete with an exhilarating 650 feet of elevation gain in 2 miles through the beautiful temperate rainforest.
Atop you find a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Alaska, Harding Gateway, and the Barrier Islands of Resurrection Bay! Bring a headlamp or flashlight to explore Fort McGilvray and have a snack at the gunning embedment before heading back down the trail for a fun kayaking adventure to Miller’s Landing.
We recommend you bring lunch and water with you on this trip. This is a great trip for folks who are looking for a fun yet semi-challenging adventure in Resurrection Bay. In total, you will be paddling ~10 miles and hiking ~4 miles; this trip is best for ages 12 and up.
Plan to arrive at 7:30 am to check in, park, and get ready. The trip will start at 8 am
Expect to be back at Miller’s landing around 3 pm. This time can change depending on water and wind conditions.
|Meet at the main office, 13880 Beach Drive Seward, AK. Check in early to meet your guide and even enjoy a cup of coffee on our porch that overlooks the water|
What to Bring
|We require a minimum age of 12 years old to take this trip||On this trip, you will kayak 10 miles and hike 4 miles. Be prepared to be physically active during the whole trip.||Be sure to pack comfortable shoes for hiking and kayaking, lunch or snacks to enjoy after the hike, and comfortable layers for being outdoors|
- This is a full day of paddling and hiking, check out our Caines Head 3/4 Day Paddle, which features a water taxi back to millers from Caines Head Beach. A fun and relaxing way to end this paddling/hiking trip.
- $120 per person (on sale from $179 per person); Use discount code Caines Head Full to get $59 off per person!
- Watch for whales, eagles, sea lions, sea otters, mountain goats, black bears, and Dall’s porpoises!
- Please note: All participants paddle tandem kayaks. This paddle is appropriate for children aged 12 and over.
- Gratuities are not included in the original sale price. A suggested 20% guide tip is greatly appreciated! (Suggested tip $15 to $25/person)
Start your morning by meeting your guide, getting geared up and ready to paddle along the coast to Caines Head State Recreation Area.
From there we paddle past Tonsina Beach, where salmon spawn (when in season), and view the beautiful yet mysterious ghost forest remains from the ruins of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. We continue on to Caines Head State Park. Paddlers often see eagles, sea otters, sea lions, and sometimes mountain goats, black bears, and orca and humpback whales.
Hike up to Fort McGilvray through the stunning Chugach National Forest, admiring the blankets of moss and picking berries late summer. Then you will find yourself at the entrance of the WWII bunker. Hopefully you brought your flashlight because it’s dark inside. Enjoy lunch (not provided– please pack one along!) with a view of the bay then hike back down to the beach where we landed.
We retrace our steps and paddle back to Miller’s Landing, watching for wildlife all along the way.
This paddle is ideal for those wanting to paddle, hike, and explore all that Resurrection Bay has to offer. No sea kayaking experience is necessary; however, be prepared to be active all day.
On our full-day and half-day trips we provide all kayaking and other necessary gear. Be sure to check the quick details to see if the trip supplies food or not, and let us know about any dietary restrictions.
We will supply kayaks, light carbon/fibreglass paddles, pogies for your hands, PFDs, spraydecks to keep your legs warm, splash gear when necessary, as well as a guide. Our guides are equipt with safety gear, first aid kits, marine radios/ spot beacons and a boatload of information they are ready to share with you!
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations canceled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, water taxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation, then no refunds will be issued and you will also be charged a $10 cancellation fee to your credit card.
- In some situations, a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you, please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping, or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, T-shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online, the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was canceled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute a cancellation.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season, which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter, water taxi, or kayaking is canceled due to weather, you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you, but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.
Our Guides come from all different backgrounds; from being ski instructors, snowmobile guides, wranglers, or passionate outdoor enthusiasts. Everyone comes from a customer service-rich background with a passion for interpretation, protecting the outdoors and safety. Our team is trained for two weeks to refine their skills together and learn all they need to know to safely guide our clients. We instruct and certify our guides as ACA II kayakers, practice cold water rescue techniques, and require that all guides have an up-to-date Wilderness First Responder Certification. Learn more about our training process by reading our blog from the 2022 training session!
Check it out here: Kayak Guide Training Summer 2022 | Miller’s Landing (millerslandingak.com)
Spend a summer outdoors and in the Stunning Kenai Fjords National Park and Resurrection Bay, teaching, guiding, and enjoying all the amazing experiences Alaska have to offer. Miller’s Landing is a family-run business that started operations shortly after Kenai Fjords National Park was established in 1980 and the tourism industry began to form in Seward. We work hard to provide every guest with a memorable experience, with a focus on safety, education, stewardship, and fostering a supportive and inclusive work environment.
We begin our hiring process in the winter, between December and January, and suggest you apply in December. Our training begins May 1st and the season runs until September 15th. We ask that guides are able to attend training and can stay until at least mid-August.
Learn more about our requirements and the hiring process here: Kayak Instructor / Guide | Miller’s Landing in Seward Alaska (millerslandingak.com)