Join us for a half-day on the Michael A or the Avery H for some exciting salmon, black bass, ling cod, and rockfish fishing!
- 6am - 5pm Up to 10 people fishing, 6 more as passengers, exclusive use of the boat
- 7:30am - 5:30PM Up to 6 people - exclusive use of the boat
Full-Day Salmon Fishing Charter in Seward, Alaska
Our full-day silver salmon charters in Seward depart at 6 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. and are offered mid-August through early September. Boat running time can be 15 minutes to an hour and a half to the fishing grounds, depending on where the best fishing is! During the bulk of our season, we only sell combination fishing charters for all species due to the high demand and the amazing produce of our local fishery!
We focus on harvesting the full daily limit for silver salmon and rockfish on these Seward fishing trips, and enjoy great success! Filleting of your fish and a private hanging station back at the landing for photos are included in your adventure. Enjoy world-class silver salmon fishing in Alaska using purpose-built, made-in-the-USA fishing rods from Thrasher Rods and all hand-tied gear in house.
Salmon start their annual return to their freshwater streams in mid-July and August but can be caught in outer coastal waters starting in late June. Silver salmon average 8 to 20 lbs and are a lot of fun to catch. They put up a great fight on medium to light tackle and are exciting and fun to catch. The limits are six silvers inside the bay (an invisible line between Cape Resurrection and Cape Aialik) or three silvers outside the bay. You may have six salmon outside the bay, only three of which may be silvers (so you could have three silvers, two chum, and one pink for example). Or you can catch your three outside the bay, and come inside the bay to try to catch your additional three to fill the limit.
Depending upon the weather, tides, location, and time of year, we normally fish for salmon in water depths from a few feet offshore to 90 feet offshore. Usually “mooching” (drift fishing with bait or lures) provides the best results. Our Captains are avid salmon fishermen and have great knowledge and successful fishing techniques that they shares with you. Their extensive knowledge of our area gives them an edge on finding the right combination of techniques and location for finding salmon and getting them to bite.
The Seward Silver Salmon Derby
This Seward fishing derby runs from the second Saturday in August and ends the following Sunday at noon. There are thousands of dollars to win in prizes daily; from the mystery fish to the largest and tagged fish. The entry fee is $10 a day or $50 for the entire Derby. See the rules for the Derby HERE.
We have two full-day charter platforms — Both are custom built landing craft and load directly off the beach either in front of Miller’s Landing or nearby at a public beach if the tide is excessively low (transportation is provided if this is the case). Both boats include a captain and deckhand, a marine toilet, full bottom fishing and salmon fishing gear, heated indoor seating, and all safety equipment.
The store facility opens at 5 a.m. each morning, and fishing licenses should be purchased well before the departure times listed below for each trip — they can be purchased online and printed out these days, which makes it a lot easier. The store sells them as well — plan ahead — check in early!
Free coffee is available at the store for your enjoyment, and there are small snacks, but lunch and drinks should be planned. (Please refrain when packing meals from bringing alcohol aboard the vessel, as the official policy of Miller’s Landing for the safety of everyone is that no alcohol be consumed while aboard).
The Fox Willie departs at 6 a.m. and returns by ~ 6 p.m. and provides a fishing charter platform for up to 10 for an all-day excursion, with the ability to carry six additional clients (friends and family of the crew or other passengers) in the capacity of a water taxi to the Fjords for guided kayaking among the glaciers.
The boat is comfortable and beamy at 40 × 13.5′ overall length. There’s room for everyone to sit inside during transit, and while the boat could be packed with 16 fishing passengers, the taxi portion allows us to let those extra people off, and open the whole boat up for 10. With over 30′ of rail space on each side of the boats full walk around the cabin, it allows a generous fishing space for 5 on each side to utilize.
The kayaking excursions are offered to those booking the charter at a discount – if those in your family are interested in going on a kayaking/sightseeing tour, we can take them on the same departure and return.
The boat will load everyone at the same time, depart at 6 a.m., drop off crew (when aboard) by 8 a.m., and will be within minutes of the fishing grounds and ready to start. The earlier departure time affords 1.5 hours additional boat time at no extra charge. I.e.: When no such kayaking/taxi exists, the fishermen have the boat for the additional 1.5 hours to fish (if necessary) at no additional charge.
The early departure time is intended to be value-added to the fishing crew at all turns – whether it’s having the opportunity to see a glacier or having an extra hour to fish, or just being able to keep the family or group with different interests together on the same day trip. The vessel’s high tunnel catamaran design allows for fast travel through choppy weather, as well as high initial stability for those who dread the seasickness.
The Thomasea departs at 7:30 a.m. and returns by ~ 5 – 6 p.m. and provides a fishing charter platform for up to six on an all-day excursion, with the ability to land on the beach as well for loading and unloading with its landing craft design. The vessel is 32×11′ length overall, and is very capable in seas. The full walk around the house provides plenty of deck space for the fishing crew, while its cabin is cozy and dry during transit times or to make a snack. The 7:30 departure time allows for a more relaxed morning, and the six-person capacity allows for a more private experience while out and about. Trips are due to return between 5 and 6 p.m.
Buy your fishing and hunting license online at https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/store/ – these can be printed out ahead of time, but must be on your person whenever you fish!
Runs from June 1st – 30th. Miller’s Landing will be selling tickets for the Halibut Derby from their campground store.
The Seward Silver Salmon Derby runs the second Saturday of August every year and is not only Alaska’s oldest fishing derby, but it’s also the highest-dollar cash prize fishing derby in Alaska. You can buy tickets right at the store, and it’s a blast!
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations canceled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, water taxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation, then no refunds will be issued and you will also be charged a $10 cancellation fee to your credit card.
- In some situations, a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you, please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping, or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, T-shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online, the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was canceled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute a cancellation.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season, which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter, water taxi, or kayaking is canceled due to weather, you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you, but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.