Hiking To Tonsina Beach is an easy hike from Miller’s Landing and well worth it!
Hiking Thumb Cove
Thumb Cove is a Haven for Kayaking, Hiking and Camping
To Get to Thumb Cove, you would have to either kayak, rent a boat and motor, or take the Miller’s Landing water taxi there and be picked up later. Miller’s Landing has kayak rentals and boat rentals – links below.
At Thumb Cove there is a lot to do. There’s good fishing there for salmon because there is a salmon stream there. Expect to get your limit of six salmon per person per day there if fishing in late June through early September. You must fish from the beach into the salt water as the salmon are protected in their salmon spawning grounds, (the stream).
Be sure to bring the camera, the views catch you by surprise, a change in weather brings out a new vista.
It is easy to catch the salmon here either using traditional fly fishing techniques, or using pixie lures or snagging hooks.
There is also good berry picking at Thumb’s Cove in late July and August! Always be alert – there are bears around and they may feel a need for berries or a taste of salmon (yours or theirs).
There are two State Park Cabins there to rent for $65 a night each. You need to bring your own camping equipment – they’re camping cabins and the No Trace Left Behind rules apply.
There are a lot of eagles here. Sometimes you can count over 40 at one time. Sea otters are seen in here, as well as sea lions at times.
Thumb Cove is also a popular tenting area and kayaking area. It is very pretty here and there are miles of beach and wooded areas to explore.
…. This destination has everything you’re looking for in Alaska – scenery, wildlife & seclusion. Thumb Cove is only accessible by water taxi.
Take the Miller’s Landing Water Taxi to Thumb Cove…. This destination has everything you’re looking for in Alaska – scenery, wildlife & seclusion. Thumb Cove is only accessible by water taxi.
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations cancelled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund. of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, watertaxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation then no refunds will be issued and. You must call or e-mail Miller’s Landing post date of cancelled stay in order for us to research whether or not your site booked. Sites that were booked of course qualify for the 50% refund, sites that were not unfortunately do not.
- In some situations a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, tee shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was cancelled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute cancellations.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter , water taxi or kayaking is cancelled due to weather you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.