Let Is Do the Dirty Work
If you are fishing with Miller’s Landing for Halibut, Salmon, Ling Cod or Rock Fish we will clean and fillet your catch as part of your fishing charter. There is no charge for cleaning the fish, and this task is performed by the Captain and Deckhand together. We often get asked what a customary tip would be for a fishing charter: Our captains and crew do work hard, and tips are always appreciated and never expected. That said, tipping is a large part of the income a Captain and Deckhand earn, and happy patrons will often tip 15% to 25% of the total cost of the fishing charter.
You will receive your filleted catch in a plastic bag from the crew, rinsed and skinned and ready to freeze. Some clients bring their own vacuum sealers and vacuum sealing bags in their luggage. These don’t usually weigh much and can come in handy – however a days catch can be anywhere from 20-200+ lbs per person, and processing this on your own can take a LONG time.
Miller’s Landing will provide complementary frozen fish storage for one night for customers who fished on our boats*. This is recommended for people travelling with catch from another fishing excursion. The best way to keep your fish is to have it vacuum packed and flash/blast frozen.
*Note this is providing there is space available. We almost always have space available. If you need additional nights of freezing it is $10 per night per average sized box of fish.
How To Take Care Of Your Fish After You Catch It
- Have your fish processed, frozen, stored and shipped (to arrive on any day you wish) using “Captain Jack’s” or “J-Dock” fish processing companies. These are excellent services, which portion, pack in industrial grade vacuum bags, and blast or flash freeze your fish for you, and then either pack it for you to take on the plane or ship it via fed ex to your home when you arrive. Scroll down below for more information on both processing companies.
- Ice your fish at Miller’s Landing for transport home if you or family live locally to process there. While we do have a walk in freezer for guests, it’s a very poor choice to pack and freeze your hard earned catch on your own in zip locks or plastic bags.
- If you choose to store fish at Miller’s Landing, you are required to write your name, number, and count of boxes on your cooler or fish box prior to storing.
- Pack your clothes in a cooler on your way TO alaska, and on your way home, check the cooler full of fish. The most expensive part of fishing in Alaska is often getting your catch home! Bringing it on the plane with you ensures it arrives with you, and saves costly overnight shipping. NOTE: No dry ice may be used – though gel packs are readily available in Seward and Anchorage in supermarkets.
- If you do self pack, using newspaper to wrap each package is an excellent trick to help keep your catch in transit frozen.
- There are cold storage facilities in and around the Anchorage Airport – just ask!
- If you are not catching the plane right away… You can usually find a cold storage facility in Kenai, Anchorage, Soldotna, Homer, etc. Try locating these facilities before you go on vacation and ask them where they are; how to get there and how much they would charge to keep your fish frozen while you are in their city.
Info About Fish Processing And Costs:
Using Captain Jack’s Fish Processing Company To Ship Your Fish Home
After a successful day on the water you will surely want to preserve your fresh Alaska halibut or salmon to savor throughout the year. Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker provides the finest Alaska fish processing service and can take the hassle out of dealing with your catch. We will cut your fish into meal sized portions, vacuum package, blast-freeze, and box your catch for you to take home, allowing you to relive the memory of your Alaska fishing trip by simply opening your freezer door.
Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker, located on the docks in Seward, is Alaska’s premier full-service sport-fish processing plant. We are recommended by charter captains and sport fishermen throughout Alaska and the U.S. We offer the finest custom Alaska fish processing available for your fresh fish. We understand the value of your Alaska catch and Captain Jack’s guarantees the fish you receive are the fish you caught. Our sophisticated customer tracking system follows your fish from initial weigh-in all the way to your freezer!
Prompt service insures that within hours of being caught your fish is cut, vacuum packaged, and blast-frozen to seal in the finest texture, flavor and pristine freshness. Captain Jack’s Seward, Alaska fish processing plant uses only the finest industrial-grade vacuum packing equipment and state-of-the-art commercial blast freezers to process your fresh Alaska halibut and salmon. Our experienced and dedicated staff is the key to Captain Jack’s reputation for delivering the highest quality Alaska fish processing service available.
Overnight delivery via FedEx from our freezers to your front door ensures your fish arrives frozen and on the day you choose. Your fish is packed in seafood industry boxes which have been tested by delivery services for holding temperatures and approved for airline travel. Captain Jack’s Alaska fish processing service also provides fish storage and can arrange for delivery of your frozen, boxed fish to the Anchorage Airport to meet departing flights.
Locally owned and operated, Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker, was established 1997. We are the only locally owned Alaska fish processor on the docks in Seward. We take great pride in caring for your fish and making sure your order is done right.
Captain Jack’s offers meal-size (1.5 – 2lb) packaging using 5 mill commercial polyethylene vacuum pack bags.
The faster fish is frozen the better flavor and texture it will have when thawed. Captain Jack’s commercial blast freezers operate at 40 degrees below zero and holding freezers at 20 degrees below zero.
PLEASE NOTE: THESE WERE PRICES FROM 2020. PLEASE CALL CAPTAIN JACKS OR EMAIL THEM (EMAIL ADDRESS IS BELOW) FOR CURRENT PRICES AS THEY CHANGE QUITE OFTEN DUE TO COST OF FED EX SHIPPING, ETC. THIS IS JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF THE COSTS….
Your Alaska Catch As Fresh As The Day You Caught It
Captain Jack’s offers meal-size (1-2 pound) packaging using 5 mill commercial polyethylene vacuum pack bags. The faster fish is frozen the better flavor and texture it will have when thawed. Captain Jack’s commercial blast freezers operate at 40 degrees below zero and holding freezers at 20 degrees below zero.
PROCESSING Vacuum pack only $1.10 per lb Vacuum pack & freeze $1.40 per lb Freezing only (pre-vacuum packed product) $1.00 per lb Storage1 (per box per day) $10.00 1All fish process at Captain Jacks get one week free freezer storage
Captain Jack’s uses seafood industry approved boxes made of multi-walled, fiberboard/cardboard that surrounds a one inch Styrofoam insulated liner to enhance container integrity and increase insulation value. Our seafood boxes have been tested by delivery services for holding temperatures and meet airline and air freight requirements.
Gel ice packs are added to maintain a low temperature during transit. Seafood industry standards recommend using at least one 1.5 pound frozen gel ice pack per 25 pounds of fish.
SEAFOOD BOXES Large (50 lbs of filleted fish) $22.00 Medium (35 lbs of filleted fish) $19.75 Mini-medium (25 lbs of filleted fish) $17.75 Small (15 lbs of filleted fish) $15.75 Mini-small (10 lbs of filleted fish) $13.75 Gel ice pack (each) $2.00
To ensure your fish arrives as fresh as the day you caught it, Captain Jack’s ships exclusively using Federal Express Overnight Delivery. Your catch is processed, frozen, boxed and stored at 20 degrees below zero until the shipping date of your choice.
To accommodate the weight of the packing materials, add 10 pounds to your filleted fish weight when calculating the cost of shipping.
Insurance is included in all shipping prices.
FedEx Shipping includes current 0.00% fuel surcharge 20 lbs $107.02 30 lbs $140.08 35 lbs $190.42 40 lbs $208.19 50 lbs $215.42 60 lbs $260.45 *FedEx prices may be subject to fuel surcharges and may change without notice
For customers who plan to take their boxed fish with them as checked baggage, Captain Jack’s custom packing ensures your container will not exceed specifications.
Captain Jack’s also provides courier service to Alaska airports for those customers who have additional travel days within the state after their fishing trip. Prices are based upon airport destination, weight and number of boxes being sent by courier.
Anchorage International Airport Courier Service Airport Freezer Storage 0-10 lbs $35.00 Small $14.00 11-25 lbs $35.00 Medium $16.00 26-50 lbs $35.00 Large $18.00 Courier Service is only offered June thru August on Tuesdays and Fridays.
One 50 pound halibut yields approximately 25 lbs of fillets.
25 lbs vacuum pack & freeze @ $1.20 per lb $35.00 1 mini-medium 25 lb box $17.75 2 gel ice packs @ $2.00 $4.00 *FedEx overnight shipping (35 lbs total weight) $190.42 Subtotal $247.17 Sales tax @ 1.70% $4.20 Total $251.37 Approximately $10.05 per pound 50 lbs vacuum pack & freeze @ $1.40 per lb $70.00 1 Large 50 lb box $22.00 2 gel ice packs $4.00 *FedEx overnight shipping (60 lbs total weight) $260.45 Subtotal $356.45 Sales tax @ 1.70% $6.06 Total $362.51 Approximately $6.01 per lb
**All prices subject to change without notice**
Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker
303 South Harbor Street
P.O. Box 693
Seward, Alaska 99664-0693
Toll Free No.: 1-877-323-6638
Phone No.: (907) 224-8082
Captain Jack’s Shipping Information:
Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker ships your freshly-frozen Alaska Seafood via FedEx overnight delivery, directly from our freezer to your door. Your order is packed in a seafood industry approved insulated box that has been tested to maintain holding temperatures and proven to withstand the riggors of air travel. FedEx’s state-of-the-art tracking system allows you to follow your order from the time it leaves our facility until it arrives at your doorstep.
Captain Jack’s ships orders Monday thru Thursday, not including holidays. We will make every effort to ship your order on the next available ship day after it was received. Orders must be made before noon to go out the following day. If you would like to request a specific ship day, you may do so in the comments section during the order process or by calling us directly. If possible, we would be happy to accommodate the request. It is best to have someone available to receive the package from FedEx, but in most cases, FedEx will leave the box on your doorstep if noone is home.
Our shipping charges include a size appropriate insulated box, packing material, and gel-ice or dry-ice to help ensure your order of Alaska Seafood arrives in a frozen to mostly frozen state. Estimated shipping charges to your location can be calculated on the “View Shopping Cart” page of the site after placing any item into the shopping cart.
Things you should know about your FedEx shipment:
- Your order will be shipped to the address given during the order process. If an incorrect address is given you are still responsible for full payment of the order. FedEx and Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker will not issue a refund or send a reshipment because of a delivery failure due to an incorrect address given by the customer.
- Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker is not responsible or liable for any delays or problems during shipping. If there is a problem that results in your Alaska Seafood being spoiled, your package is insured by us with FedEx. If FedEx determines the delay or damage is covered by the insurance, Captain Jack’s will work with you to either issue a refund or replace the shipment. FedEx does not insure “problems beyond their control”, acts of “terrorism”, or weather delays. Captain Jack’s Seafood Locker will work with FedEx on your behalf, but FedEx will issue the final decision.
- When you receive your Alaskan Seafood from Captain Jack’s it should arrive in a frozen or partially – frozen state. If your seafood is not at least cold to the touch upon arrival, please call us right away for guidance.
- Put your seafood into a freezer immediately upon receipt if you intend to keep it for later use. Otherwise, place your seafood products in the refrigerator to thaw. King crab should be kept frozen until you are ready to eat it. It can then be steamed, broiled, boiled, or grilled to bring to the desired temperature. It has however, already been fully cooked during processing.
- If you are ordering one of our “shelf stable” items along with frozen seafood these items will be included in the shipment with your frozen products. Our “shelf stable” gift boxes are shipped via FedEx 2-Day Shipping. These items do not require refrigeration until they are opened. They should be eaten within two days of opening their individual seals.
- Captain Jack’s ships Alaskan Seafood only within the United States at this time.
J-Dock Seafood Company: Processing & Shipping Feed Schedule
PLEASE NOTE: PRICING IS FROM PREVIOUS YEARS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. PLEASE CALL J-DOCK OR EMAIL THEM FOR CURRENT PRICES AS THEY CHANGE QUITE OFTEN DUE TO COST OF SHIPPING, ETC. THIS IS JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF THE COSTS….
Vacuum-Pack Only – $1.10/lb.
Vacuum-Pack and Flash Freeze – $1.40/lb.
Freeze Only – $0.75/lb.
Customized Processing Fees:
Non-standard size, such as ½ lb. per package or 1 ½ lbs. per package is an additional $0.25 per lb.
Whole Fillets are an additional $0.55/lb.
Fish filleting services range from $2.00 – $8.00 per fish, depending on the size and type of fish.
Customers that process with J-Dock Seafood Co receive FREE unlimited freeze storage.
Carry-On / Shipping Boxes:
10 lb. insulated Styrofoam cooler + 1 frozen gel pack = $14.50 + tax
25 lb. insulated Styrofoam cooler + 2 frozen gel packs = $17.50 + tax
50 lb. insulated Styrofoam cooler + 2 frozen gel packs = $19.50 + tax
$2.00/frozen gel pack
$2.00/8 lb. bag of ice
Freezer storage of personal coolers or boxes is $10.00 per box per day
Add any retail seafood product to your sportfish processing order, such as king crab legs, scallops, or prawns, and receive $1.00 off per lb. of normal retail prices.
$125.00 for 10 lbs. including Processing, Fedex Priority Overnight Shipping, and Handling, and insurance, and insulated cooler
$206.00 for 25 lbs. including Processing, Fedex Priority Overnight Shipping, Handling, and insurance, and insulated cooler
$315.00 for 50 lbs. including Processing, Fedex Priority Overnight Shipping, Handling, and insurance, and insulated cooler
Our packaging uses 7 mill commercial polyethylene vacuum pack bags and our standard portion size is 1 lb. per package. This packaging will keep your fresh caught Alaskan seafood secure from freezer burn and other damaging elements, for up to two years, so long as the vacuum seal of the package has not been compromised.