Travel the Alaska Railroad route from Anchorage to Seward – or back! Whether you choose Adventure Class or the Gold Star service, the train is incredibly scenic and has all you could want!
Freedom of the Open Alaskan Road
Drive the Seward highway from Anchorage to Seward. It is one of the most scenic highways in the country and by having the car you are able to have the freedom to explore Alaska in all her glory!
The 126 mile long Seward Highway connects Anchorage to Seward. It has been called one of the most scenic highways in the country and has been designated a National Forest Scenic Byway. You can view Beluga Whales, Bore Tides, Bear and Moose ambling along the roadsides, and so much more. It’s a gorgeous ride!
Leaving Anchorage heading South, the Seward Highway follows the north shore of Turnagain Arm through Chugach State Park and Chugach National Forest, providing a panoramic view of the South Shore and the Kenai Mountains. The drive from Anchorage is approximately two hours and fifteen minutes, with plenty of opportunities to stop along the way at quaint towns like Indian, Girdwood, Portage, Whittier, Hope, and Moose Pass – all just on the way to Seward! The Hertz in Anchorage and Seward work together to provide a one-way drop off service.
Hertz has an office right in Seward! Locally owned and conveniently located near the Alaska Railroad Station by the Seward Small Boat Harbor. They offer a full range of rental services and vehicles of all sizes and types. Hertz is also in Anchorage, by the Ted Stevens International Airport, allowing one-way transport of their vehicles in either direction for an additional drop off fee.
Going on a cruise? Arrive a few days early in Anchorage and rent a car to drop off – or take the Train to Seward and rent one there! When it’s time to get on your cruise, you can simply return it at the Hertz location mere blocks from the terminal, for an easy transition to the next leg of your Alaskan adventure.
Driving around the Kenai Penninsula allows for a freedom of exploration you’ll be glad you were able to afford. The Seward highway alone has been ranked in the top ten scenic highways and road trips in America by a number of publications and travelogues. If traveling with a family or larger group, a car rental can often more than justify the cost of rental when compared to ticket prices on buses or trains. It really is a good service, and a great way to see the “Greatland!”
Call for pricing on all vehicle types and models.
Rental Cars are subject to a 7% City of Seward Sales Tax, and a 10% State Rental Tax that is charged in addition to the daily rates listed above. A vehicle licensing fee of $1.19 per day will also be charged.
We are happy to be able to reserve your car for you, right here at Miller’s Landing at no additional fee!
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations cancelled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund. of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, watertaxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation then no refunds will be issued and. You must call or e-mail Miller’s Landing post date of cancelled stay in order for us to research whether or not your site booked. Sites that were booked of course qualify for the 50% refund, sites that were not unfortunately do not.
- In some situations a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, tee shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was cancelled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute cancellations.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter , water taxi or kayaking is cancelled due to weather you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.