Take a ride across Resurrection Bay to a cove sheltered from the wind and waves for a calm kayaking trip!
Paddle & Hike Caines Head with a Water Taxi Back!
Want to do the Full-Day Caines Head trip but don’t have the time or energy for the whole trip? No worries! Paddle out to awesome Fort McGilvray, and we can pick you up with the water taxi vessel for the ride back!
This Alaskan adventure tour includes paddling and hiking but with a relaxing water taxi back to Miller’s Landing! It is very popular with birders and naturalists. Paddle from beautiful Miller’s Landing area of Lowell Point to Caines Head State Park on the western side of Resurrection Bay, and enjoy a one-way water taxi back for wildlife watching — see eagles, sea lions, sea otters, Dall’s porpoises, and mountain goats. It’s a great way to save a few hours and a bit of energy after an exciting day exploring Alaska!
Paddle by Tonsina Creek, where salmon are spawning (when in season), and the beautiful “ghost forest” remains from the ruins of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. Traversing further, we pass Bridal Veil Falls, a beautiful cascading waterfall. On this Alaskan kayak excursion, we often see eagles, sea otters, sea lions, and sometimes mountains goats, black bears, and orcas and humpback whales.
This combo tour offers a 4-mile hike to explore the historical Fort McGilvray and its army bunkers and gun embedments left from World War II. The hike is a fairly easy (650 feet vertical gain over the 2-mile ascent to the fort), and awaiting you at the top is a beautiful panoramic view of the Gulf of Alaska. No experience is necessary, but be prepared for an exciting, physically stimulating day.
- 7:30 a.m.: Check-in to office for parking pass and to sign necessary forms
- 8 a.m.: Meet guide, get outfitted for paddle
- 8:15 a.m.: Warm-up exercises, safety briefing
- 8:25 a.m.: Depart for your Caines Head tour
- Paddle to Caines Head and hike four miles round trip to Fort McGilvray
- 1:15 p.m.: Water taxi pick-up and depart for Miller’s Landing, only 15 minutes away!
Please note: All clients paddle tandem kayaks. This Caines Head kayak and hike tour is appropriate for children ages 10 and over. This paddle is approximately five hours in length.
Paddle one way and take the water taxi back (included in cost) to save energy for another amazing Alaskan adventure!
No experience needed, all gear and instruction provided. You will need to wear clothing appropriate for an Alaskan adventure– see our Kayaking FAQ for details!
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations canceled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, water taxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation, then no refunds will be issued and you will also be charged a $10 cancellation fee to your credit card.
- In some situations, a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you, please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping, or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, T-shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online, the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was canceled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute a cancellation.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season, which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter, water taxi, or kayaking is canceled due to weather, you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you, but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.