Take a relaxing kayaking trip in one of Resurrection Bay’s hidden gems, Humpy or Thumb Cove!
Caines Head 3/4-Day with Water Taxi
Paddle & Hike Caines Head with a Water Taxi Back!
Want to do the Full-Day Caines Head trip but don’t have the time or energy for the whole trip? No worries! Paddle out to awesome Fort McGilvray, and we can pick you up with the water taxi vessel for the ride back!
This Alaskan adventure tour includes paddling and hiking but with a relaxing water taxi back to Miller’s Landing! It is very popular with birders and naturalists. Paddle from beautiful Miller’s Landing area of Lowell Point to Caines Head State Park on the western side of Resurrection Bay, and enjoy a one-way water taxi back for wildlife watching — see eagles, sea lions, sea otters, Dall’s porpoises, and mountain goats. It’s a great way to save a few hours and a bit of energy after an exciting day exploring Alaska!
Paddle by Tonsina Creek, where salmon are spawning (when in season), and the beautiful “ghost forest” remains from the ruins of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. Traversing further, we pass Bridal Veil Falls, a beautiful cascading waterfall. On this Alaskan kayak excursion, we often see eagles, sea otters, sea lions, and sometimes mountains goats, black bears, and orcas and humpback whales.
This combo tour offers a 4-mile hike to explore the historical Fort McGilvray and its army bunkers and gun embedments left from World War II. The hike is fairly easy (650 feet vertical gain over the 2-mile ascent to the fort), and awaiting you at the top is a beautiful panoramic view of the Gulf of Alaska. No experience is necessary but, be prepared for an exciting, physically stimulating day. This trip is best for ages 12 and up!
What to Bring
We require a minimum age of 12 years old to take this trip
This is a great paddle for beginners who want to paddle and hike. Paddle 5 miles to Caines Head State Recreation Area, then hike 4 miles before getting picked up by a water taxi
- Get a panoramic view of the Gulf of Alaska.
- Take a water taxi back instead of paddling!
- Watch for whales, eagles, sea lions, sea otters, mountain goats, black bears, and Dall’s porpoises!
- Paddle past driftwood ghost forests from the 1964 Alaskan earthquake.
- No experience needed, all gear and instruction provided.
- Please note: All participants paddle tandem kayaks. This paddle is appropriate for children aged 12 and over.
- Gratuities are not included in the original sale price. A suggested 20% guide tip is greatly appreciated! (Suggested tip $15 to $25/person)
Start your morning by meeting your guide, getting geared up and ready to paddle along the coast to Caines Head State Recreation Area.
From there we paddle past Tonsina Beach, where salmon spawn (when in season), and view the beautiful yet mysterious ghost forest remains from the ruins of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. We continue on to Caines Head State Park. Paddlers often see eagles, sea otters, sea lions, and sometimes mountain goats, black bears, and orca and humpback whales.
Hike up to Fort McGilvray through the stunning Chugach National Forest, admiring the blankets of moss and picking berries late summer. Then you will find yourself at the entrance of the WWII bunker. Hopefully, you brought your flashlight because it’s dark inside.
After the hike, you will take a relaxing water taxi ride back to Miller’s Landing on one of our landing crafts.
This paddle is ideal for those wanting to paddle, hike, and explore all that Resurrection Bay has to offer. No sea kayaking experience is necessary; however, be ready to paddle 5 easy miles and do a 4 mile hike.
- A $10 cancellation fee is imposed for all reservations canceled.
- Cancellations must be received by email only to [email protected] The cancellation notice date is the date the email was received at [email protected] Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- Cancellations received by email 30 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a refund of 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 15 to 29 days prior to the first day of the reservation are charged a $10 cancellation charge and you will receive a 75% refund of the total amount of the reservation.
- Cancellations received by email 14 days to zero days prior to arrival are charged a $10 cancellation fee and you will receive a 50% refund only if we are able to rebook your camping, cabin, fishing, kayaking, water taxi, shuttle, lunch, or activity. If we are not able to rebook your reservation, then no refunds will be issued and you will also be charged a $10 cancellation fee to your credit card.
- In some situations, a raincheck worth 75% of your reservation may be issued at the discretion of Miller’s Landing management instead of the applicable cancellation charge. If this option appeals to you, please suggest this at the time of cancellation. Rainchecks are good for one year and may be used for activities, camping, or lodging owned by Miller’s Landing or towards the cost of hats, T-shirts, gifts, etc. sold in the Miller’s Landing store or items sold online. For items purchased online, the customer is expected to pay for the cost of postage. Rainchecks may NOT be transferred to another person.
- A 100% refund will be issued for any activity that was canceled due to weather by Miller’s Landing. Miller’s Landing reserves the right to determine weather cancellations. Rain does not constitute a cancellation.
Please note: Miller’s Landing encourages only guaranteed prepaid reservations. Unlike many other states, Alaska has a very short tourist season, which can make it difficult for us to rebook when we have cancellations without ample notice.
If you are booking a charter and lodging and your charter, water taxi, or kayaking is canceled due to weather, you are still responsible for the lodging or camping reservations and the normal cancellation policy applies. All of our activities are possible during rain, so rain does not constitute a cancellation. Miller’s Landing is not responsible for vehicle break downs, personal emergencies, flight delays, health issues or other unforeseen hardships. We will try very hard to work with you, but the cancellation policy will need to be applied if we cannot issue a raincheck or find an alternative solution that appeals to both parties.
Please understand that Miller’s Landing also incurs a hefty financial merchant fee from our bank for the cost of charging your credit card and again for the cost of refunding it, and there is also a cost involved for the time involved in processing and refunding your reservation in employee costs. Our goal when taking your reservation is to have a solid, guaranteed prepaid reservation. We strongly discourage the practice of making reservations without having an airline ticket or making tentative reservations. Thank you for your understanding.